[CentOS] RAID 6 - opinions

Adrian Sevcenco Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch
Fri Apr 12 05:30:56 UTC 2013

On 04/11/2013 06:36 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I'm setting up this huge RAID 6 box. I've always thought of hot spares,
> but I'm reading things that are comparing RAID 5 with a hot spare to RAID
> 6, implying that the latter doesn't need one. I *certainly* have enough
> drives to spare in this RAID box: 42 of 'em, so two questions: should I
we use several of this kind of boxes (but with 45 trays) and our
experience was that the optimum volume size was 12 hdds (3 X 12 + 9)
which will reduce the 45 disks to a actual size of 37 disks (a 12 disk
volume is 40 TB size ... in event of a broken hdd it takes 1 day to
recover.. more than 12 disks and i dont (want to) know how long it would
take) and we don't use hot spares.

HTH,
Adrian