[CentOS] No more support for chrome/chromium on rhel6

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Apr 15 22:48:04 UTC 2013

On 04/15/2013 01:26 AM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> Is there any chance CentOS might add Chromium to extras repo? See below.
>
> Post from Hirakendu:
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/chromium-discuss/I_ZFDJqdiyA
>
> -----------
> "I have put up some scripts for building current Chromium versions (26
> and 27) on EL 6 at
>
> https://github.com/hirakendu/chromium_el_builder
>
> . See the readme for details. Due to the large file size, the current
> RPM chromium-26.0.1410.63-192696.x86_64.rpm, built on CentOS 6.4, can
> be obtained by downloading the project archive.Please note that this
> is only for the time being and I do not intend to actively maintain
> it, but I hope it may help others. A couple of patches may be merged
> as well.
>
> Aside, thanks to Paweł for maintaining the excellent chromium ebuilds
> for Gentoo Linux (which I have been happily using for several years)
> that helped clarify some of the build steps, in addition to the
> official build instructions at chromium.org."

I will be glad to build it, *IF* I can reproduce what the script does
inside an SRPM (looks like I should be able to).  One of our rules is an
SRPM for everything we release.

The problem is, if he is not going to support it later, his gcc patches
may not keep working on newer code and we only gain a couple of builds
and run out of support.

Since I personally use chrome as my browser (and obviously CentOS-6.4 as
my OS :D) ... and want to continue to do so ... I will look at this soon.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes