[CentOS] New motherboard - kernel panic

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Tue Apr 16 13:30:30 UTC 2013

On 4/15/2013 5:09 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:

>>> Sorry, hit <send> and had another thought: I think you said you rebuilt
>>> the initrd... *could* you see the drives? *Did* the running system you
>>> rebuilt from have all the LVM drivers loaded when you rebuilt it?
>> I can see the drives from the rescue environment.  I don't know how to
>> check the LVM drivers.
> You need *both* the md drivers and lvm drivers. I haven't built a system
> using lvm in years, I'm afraid, but it shouldn't be too hard.
>
> Btw, this may be of some interest:
> <http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager/device_mapper.html>

I got it figured out.  The problem was at the sata driver level. The
instructions I found for rebuilding the initrd neglected to mention that
I needed to edit modprobe.conf and add the appropriate driver
information first.

I'm still not sure why it was able to get as far as loading the kernel
before suddenly being unable to see the drives.  If it needs sata
drivers to see the disks, why doesn't it need them to read the boot
partition?  I didn't have to mess with grub or the boot sector after
changing motherboards.

--
Bowie