[CentOS] 4 monitors with one graphics card and standard driver

Dale Dellutri daledellutri at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 20:55:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Dale Dellutri wrote:
> > I've just test an ATI FirePro 2460 graphics card on CentOS 6.4.  It
> > connects 4 monitors.
> > It worked with the standard radeon driver.  I was able to arrange the
> > monitors into my preferred configuration (as a square array, 1 upper
> > left, 2 lower left, 3 lower right, 4 upper right) simply by clicking
> > System -> Preferences -> Display, and then moving the
> > four monitor images.  This creates the file ~/.config/monitors.xml .
> <snip>
> > I also tested two other cards: ATI FirePro 2450 and NVidia Quadro NVS
> 420.
> > For each of these cards, the BIOS shows the card in slot 1 as a PCI
> > Bridge.
> > lspci reports two identical video cards at 03:00.0 and 04:00.0.
> > Though it's easy to set up two screens properly, xinerama would probably
> > be required in an xorg.conf to get all four screens working properly.
>
> Would you mind sending me your xorg.conf offlist? I *may* have found
> something in the one I've been handcrafting, but as my user is busy, I
> won't be able to try it out for a while, and would love to see what you
> did.

As I said, when I used the ATI FirePro 2460, there was NO xorg.conf
created or required.  I would have needed one for the ATI 2450 or the
NVidia NVS 420, but I never tried to create one.

> I'm still at the point of him having one monitor working fine, but the
> other comes up, not mirrored, but unreachable by keyboard or mouse.
> Looking at his old xorg.conf that worked with kmod-fglrx, and my own (an
> NVidia card) I realized they only have one Screen sectiuon, and a viewport
> on his (mine, of course, has twinview), so I've just edited his that way.

I suggest that you restart the machine without X (in run level 3), then as
root
do:
  # X -configure
which will write a new xorg.conf.new in the current directory.

But are you sure the problem is in the xorg.conf?  What does System ->
Preferences -> Display show?

--
Dale Dellutri