[CentOS] Centos6 installed as virtual host

zGreenfelder

zgreenfelder at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 15:44:44 UTC 2013

>#[jvermeulen at it root]$ virt-manager
>Traceback (most recent call last):
 >  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 383, in <module>
 >    main()
 >  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 286, in main
 >    raise gtk_error
>RuntimeError: could not open display

it looks like you logged in as yourself, then did a sudo su - (which
is normally how things should be done)
(or maybe even just a sudo su).   there are a couple things you can do
to get around that; I think the most expedient is to run (as yourself)
you at it you> sudo virt-manager

other options include (although I'm sure I'll get flames for it) log
in directly as root or set your ID to have the permissions to do all
that's needed to run virt-manager, or make sure your X config allows
tcp connections and use 'xhost +localhost', then export
DISPLAY=localhost:0 as root user (probably; you might need to check
your DISPLAY settings as your own ID before -- env | egrep -i display)

this is just my guess, though.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Johan Vermeulen
<jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I convinced my boss to buy me a new laptop, it arrived today!
>
> So now that I finaly have a X86_64 machine, I want to try Kvm. I'm very
> excited.
>
> I Anaconda I selected install as virtual host, but after install, update
> and reboot  I try
>
> #[jvermeulen at it root]$ virt-manager
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 383, in <module>
>      main()
>    File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 286, in main
>      raise gtk_error
> RuntimeError: could not open display
>
> I googled this, but found very little info about this type of Centos
> install.
>
> Can anyone advise on how to proceed from the standard install to get
> this working?
>
> Greetings, J.
>
> Open source Software is the future.

Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so good.