[CentOS] Supermicro & Boot Failures with DVD Centos 6.2

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Apr 19 17:22:58 UTC 2013

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Eve.8ryone,
>
> I have had a SuperMicro machine running Centos 5.8 that had been
> progressively updated with yum-cron from a 5.0 CD install.
>
> I upgraded the SuperMicro with more memory, switched out the CD with a
> DVD and tried to boot to the Centos x64 6.2 dvd.  My plan was to test
> the memory before I added the hard drives, but I could not I could not
> get the machine to boot from the disc.  I also tried some Fedora install
> discs as well as LiveFedora and the machine would still not boot.  I
> could get it to boot with a dreaded Microsoft install disc.  We also
> updated the bios with the latest version and this did not make a
> difference.
>
> We have not tried to use these disks with the hard drives installed yet
> because we were in the process of just testing the memory.
>
> Has anyone had this problem with SuperMicro's.  Is the problem as simple
> as a requirement to have a hard disc installed.   Your help would be
> appreciated.

Make sure, in the BIOS, that booting from the DVD is enabled. Also - you
*have* booted from the dvd on another machine, right?

I *hate* Supermicro. As I mentioned the other day on another thread, we've
stopped buying from Penguin, who are all Supermicro, and we have had a
*ton* of problems. With the 48-core and 64-core servers, which you'd think
would be top of the line, with the H8QG6 m/bs, we've had at least, um, 6
replaced out of under 30.

       mark