[CentOS] Supermicro & Boot Failures with DVD Centos 6.2

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.net
Fri Apr 19 18:24:00 UTC 2013

> Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> Eve.8ryone,
>>
>> I have had a SuperMicro machine running Centos 5.8 that had been
>> progressively updated with yum-cron from a 5.0 CD install.
>>
>> I upgraded the SuperMicro with more memory, switched out the CD with a
>> DVD and tried to boot to the Centos x64 6.2 dvd.  My plan was to test
>> the memory before I added the hard drives, but I could not I could not
>> get the machine to boot from the disc.  I also tried some Fedora install
>> discs as well as LiveFedora and the machine would still not boot.  I
>> could get it to boot with a dreaded Microsoft install disc.  We also
>> updated the bios with the latest version and this did not make a
>> difference.
<snip>
> Make sure, in the BIOS, that booting from the DVD is enabled. Also - you
> *have* booted from the dvd on another machine, right?
>
> I *hate* Supermicro. As I mentioned the other day on another thread, we've
> stopped buying from Penguin, who are all Supermicro, and we have had a
> *ton* of problems. With the 48-core and 64-core servers, which you'd think
> would be top of the line, with the H8QG6 m/bs, we've had at least, um, 6
> replaced out of under 30.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  yes, the bios for the DVD is activated, and in
> fact we have booted to a Microsoft OS with the same DVD, but have not
> been able to boot to a linux os; this has been a real surprise for us.

Ok. Next question: what *happens* when you try to boot? Do you get
anywhere? Are there any errors showing up onscreen?

     mark

Mark,

We get a one line descriptor at the top of the screen that starts out with

ISOLINUX .......

Sorry, but I can not remember the full line.

The system then hangs at this point, and after this is displayed it does
not appear that the DVD drive is accessed again.  At least the light on
the DVD does not blink again.

Greg