[CentOS] Supermicro & Boot Failures with DVD Centos 6.2

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.net
Fri Apr 19 22:32:52 UTC 2013

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> <snip>
>> Ok. Next question: what *happens* when you try to boot? Do you get
>> anywhere? Are there any errors showing up onscreen?
>>
>> We get a one line descriptor at the top of the screen that starts out
>> with
>>
>> ISOLINUX .......
>>
>> Sorry, but I can not remember the full line.
>>
>> The system then hangs at this point, and after this is displayed it does
>> not appear that the DVD drive is accessed again.  At least the light on
>> the DVD does not blink again.
>>
> If you can boot another server from this DVD, it suggests that there's a
> driver missing, though if this is an install disk, that's odd. Have you
> tried <ctrl><alt><f4> or f5? IIRC, those should show what goes into dmesg.
>
> I have installed 4 other machines with this same DVD disc.  The only
> thing that is a little different is that we have not attached a hard
> disc drive to the SuperMicro yet, we were only at the point of testing
> the memory.
>
> Thanks for your advice about <ctrl><alt>F4  I will not be able to try
> this until I can get to the machine, prob 24 hrs.  I'll let you know
> what happens.

Here's a thought: in the BIOS, in boot order, is the DVD *first*?

     mark

Mark,

I sure appreciate your help.  Unfortunately, that was one of the first
things I did.  Joe Eubank is helping me on this project, and he just
sent me a note that he was able to get Centos to boot from a usb stick
so we may be able to bypass our problem.  I'll keep everyone informed so
others can benefit from our trial and error.

Greg