[CentOS] Problem getting mysqldump on Centos 5.x server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 19:24:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Bruce Whealton
<bruce at futurewaveonline.com> wrote:

>>Check out
> http://christiank.org/wp/2010/12/pipe-a-gzipped-mysql-dump-over-ssh/ for an
> example of how you might do this
>
> So, first it gave the usual error that relates to not enough disk space.

That doesn't make much sense.  If you are piping the output it
shouldn't need local disk space.

> Then it made the connection to the other server, asking me to accept a
> certificate that isn't known...  then asking for my password.  Finally, it
> creates a file that is only 805B in size.

You should be able to view that with 'less'  (which should
automatically uncompress if needed) to see what you got.

> So, I was doing the mysqldump on a Centos 5.x server and sending it to my
> own Linux Centos 6.x box that does have a url that allows ssh across the
> internet.  I suppose it wouldn't create the connection or the dump.sql.gz
> file if it could not connect to my Centos 6.x box.

Yes, but it does not sound like your mysqldump command generated the
right output.

> I wish I understood the makeup of how mysql actually saves a database.  I
> mean there is this mysql directory that has an directory for the same
> database that I am trying to get.  However, if I just copy those files, I
> don't know if that will give me a database or not.

I think it should, given reasonably similar mysql versions, but you
should be able to make the mysqldump| gzip| ssh command work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com