[CentOS] Getting confirmation for power button

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 14:38:58 UTC 2013

From: "Vanhorn, Mike" <michael.vanhorn at wright.edu>

> Yes, I know this is handled by acpid; that's where the
> /etc/acpid/events/power.sh file comes in. I'm asking if anyone knows what
> changes to make to that file so that it gives a prompt first.
>
> I'm guessing that there is a program out there already that will prompt
> for a shutdown, I just don't know what that program is.

On CentOS 5: /etc/acpi/events/power.conf
  # ACPID config to power down machine if powerbutton is pressed, but only if
  # no gnome-power-manager is running

On CentOS 6:/etc/acpi/actions/power.sh
  # Check that there is a power manager, otherwise shut down.

Do you use gnome?
If so, in 'System / Preferences / ... / Power Managment', in the 'General' tab,
there is "When power button is pressed = Ask me"

JD