[CentOS] Why is my default DISPLAY suddenly :3.0?

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Apr 26 15:36:55 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-26, Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>
>> I'm on Fedora 6.3. After a reboot, some proprietary software didn't want
>> to run. I found out that the startup script for said software manually
>> sets DISPLAY to :0.0, which I know is not a good idea, and I can fix.
>
> I'd thought that :0.0 was the norm.

It is, but it's not a hard and fast rule.  If you are running multiple
local X consoles, for example, they can't all be :0.0.  I've also seen
different identifiers when one X session is hung and/or doesn't finish
cleanly before a new one is brought up.

If DISPLAY is consistently set to :3.0, perhaps it is a Fedora-specific
thing, and it'd be best to ask people more familiar with Fedora.  If
they have made changes, those changes may not have propagated to RHEL/
CentOS yet.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us