[CentOS] Apache stops without evident cause

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Apr 29 12:55:53 UTC 2013

OS = CentOS-6.4
Uptime = 4 days,  1:31,
httpd-2.2.15
SELinux=enforcing
audit2why -l -a = nil report

Since upgrading a public web service host from dedicated hardware
running CentOS-5.x to a KVM virtual host running CentOS-6.3 I have
experienced intermittent ( one every couple of months) halts by the
Apache web service.  There is never any trace left in any of the logs,
there are no SELinux avc's recorded, and the rest of the system
remains up.  It is just the httpd service that stops.

I have an automatic restart job in place so this is not a show
stopper.  But I am concerned that this behaviour is pointing to a
fundamental problem somewhere.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Are there any ideas as to what
could be causing this?

Canada  L8E 3C3