[CentOS] Supermicro & Boot Failures with DVD Centos 6.2

Fri Apr 19 17:12:19 UTC 2013
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.net>

Eve.8ryone,

I have had a SuperMicro machine running Centos 5.8 that had been
progressively updated with yum-cron from a 5.0 CD install.

I upgraded the SuperMicro with more memory, switched out the CD with a
DVD and tried to boot to the Centos x64 6.2 dvd.  My plan was to test
the memory before I added the hard drives, but I could not I could not
get the machine to boot from the disc.  I also tried some Fedora install
discs as well as LiveFedora and the machine would still not boot.  I
could get it to boot with a dreaded Microsoft install disc.  We also
updated the bios with the latest version and this did not make a
difference.

We have not tried to use these disks with the hard drives installed yet
because we were in the process of just testing the memory.

Has anyone had this problem with SuperMicro's.  Is the problem as simple
as a requirement to have a hard disc installed.   Your help would be
appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg Ennis