[CentOS] Don't understand how to re-partition this setup or why it was made like this

Mon Apr 1 20:44:06 UTC 2013
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2013-04-01, Yves S. Garret <yoursurrogategod at gmail.com> wrote:

> $ df -h
> /dev/mapper/vg_ysg-lv_root
>                        47G  8.8G   36G  20% /
> tmpfs                 948M  372K  947M   1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda1             485M   62M  398M  14% /boot
> /dev/mapper/vg_ysg-lv_home
>                       4.6G  2.7G  1.7G  63% /home
>
> What I don't understand is why is /home so tiny and how can I re-partition
> this without having to nuke and rebuild my machine?

I doubt anyone can tell you why /home is so tiny.  But depending on the
filesystem used, you may be able to resize on the fly, without even
needing a reboot.  The LVM HOWTO is a bit out of date, but describes the
process here:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html

Growing XFS filesystems online is required; they can't be grown offline.
Growing ext4 online should be easy, but I've only tested it once in
CentOS 6.  As Timo notes, you should have a backup before proceeding in
any case.

I believe there are GUI tools to manipulate LVM and filesystems
(system-config-lvm IIRC), but I haven't used this tool so can't give you
any helpful guidance.

You can put everything on one filesystem if you wish.  This is mostly a
matter of personal taste for many desktop uses (and some server uses).

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us