[CentOS] [Possibly OT] - General question: state of internet traffic

Mon Apr 1 22:16:40 UTC 2013
Michael H. Warfield <mhw at WittsEnd.com>

On Mon, 2013-04-01 at 18:04 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:
> Greetings,

> I've read reports that there has been degradation in Internet traffic over
> the last month. Until today, I haven't experienced any. However, getting
> bank record data from chase.com here in NYC seems impossible.

/me trying not to laugh...

Yeah, there have been some problems over the last couple of weeks.  You
might review this list for the DNS thread.  Seems that SpamHaus and
Cyberbunker got into a pissing contest with some of the Cyberbunker
sympathizers (not I) directing a DDoS attack against them exploiting
open DNS resolvers around the net to the tune of upwards of 300Gbps
against Spamhaus.

> I also noticed erratic ftp behavior today; connections can be made but
> data can't be transferred. This isn't consistent, though.

> (I have a machine in LA while being in NYC; ftp traffic is difficult to
> establish westbound; no problem eastbound).

Might check out the Internet Health Report here:

http://www.internetpulse.net/

Pretty much everything looks reasonable.  Nothing red.  No major
congestion, ATM.

> I haven't done any sort of consistent test, so I am not sounding alarms.
> I'm just trying to get a sense of where this is happening.
> And is there a reliable source of information.

> Much thanks

> Max Pyziur
> pyz at brama.com

Regards,