[CentOS] floppy drives

Sun Apr 7 21:29:14 UTC 2013
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

On 04/07/13 17:11, Brian Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-04-07 at 16:43 -0400, mark wrote:
>> On 04/07/13 16:22, Frank Cox wrote:
>>> Floppy disks have a finite usable life.  Depending on where and how you have
>>> been storing them, they may be shot.
>>>
>> Yeah, but.... I tried three of 'em, three different OEM, and three ages,
>> and they all give me fdisk saying it's not a valid block device.
>
> If they were all written with the same drive it's also possible the head
> alignment had drifted which will make things...interesting.
>
> Try formatting a scratch floppy to see if you can write.  If that works
> but you still can't read, evidence that it's indeed an alignment
> mismatch.

These are many years of disks, written on many machines.

At any rate, I just tried mformat a:, and it tells me that it can't open
/dev/fd0: No such device or address.

	mark
--
Though I don't think (object-oriented programming) has much to offer
good  programmers, except in certain specialized domains, it is