[CentOS] Formatting a USB Drive

Wed Apr 10 20:50:39 UTC 2013
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 4/10/2013 9:54 AM, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> # parted
> GNU Parted 2.1

here's my parted recipe for making very large volumes...   this will
fill the disk, reserving 512K up front to be on a reasonable stripe boundary

|parted /dev/sdb ||"mklabel gpt"|
|parted -a none /dev/sdb ||"mkpart primary 1024s -1s"|

I would under NO conditions make a EXT3 volume anywheres NEAR as big as
you're talking about.   my preference for large volumes is XFS.

     VG=vg_$(hostname -s)_data
     vgcreate $VG /dev/sdb1
     lvcreate --size 8T --name lv_data $VG
     mkfs.xfs  /dev/$VG/lv_data
     mount /dev/$VG/lv_data /data

if your storage device presents the storage as a block device, then
there's no 'support' issues I'm aware of for file systems, its just
sectors as far as the storage device is concerned, the file system is
strictly up to your OS.