[CentOS] floppy drives

Thu Apr 11 13:48:39 UTC 2013

Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane wrote:
>> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us [mailto:m.roth at 5-cent.us]
>> Frank Cox wrote:

<snip>
>> I also can't seem to find the USB 3.5" drive I borrowed - lsusb sees it
>> (at least since the last reboot), but trying to find it to mount it is
>> something I'm still digging at, and I doubt mtools can find it.
>
> Note: the USB floppy may be showing up as /dev/sd[bcd...n]
> At least that is what happened when I used one on RHEL/CentOS5 a while
> back.

I would think, but don't remember seeing it.

> I suggest unplugging the USB floppy, execute `ls /dev/sd* /dev/fd*`,
> plug it in and execute `ls /dev/sd* /dev/fd*`, and then note the
> differences.

Think I tried that, as well as leaving the USB drive in when I bounced the
system to reset the BIOS. USB storage annoys me, half the time it's try to
find it, the camera card being a prime example. I'll try it this evening,
since we *finally* finished all the taxes last night (MD is nasty: their
downloadable pdf forms are encrypted, so not only is it not saveable after
you enter data, like the fed forms are, but you cannot use either print to
CUPS-pdf, nor can you print to a file, then use ps2pdf....)

> {there are probably hal/udev/inotify games you could do, but I like old
> fashioned things.}

Hmmm, don't know them. rescan-scsi-bus... no, I don't *think* that will
register the USB, and I think I mentioned that lsusb shows me the drive,
but I can't identify the driver. Now that I have some time, I'll dig
deeper.

> Even when this disclaimer is not here:
> I am not a contracting officer. I do not have authority to make or modify
> the terms of any contract.

I have a very long disclaimer from my late wife at home, along the lines
of "this does not reflect the views of my employer, the US government, or
even the view out my window (which I don't have)...."

        mark