[CentOS] ATI video driver problems

Mon Apr 15 16:57:03 UTC 2013

Hi, Ned,

Ned Slider wrote:
> On 15/04/13 16:57, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> User got upgraded to 6.4. Graphical mode video fails.
>>
>> It's an AMD (nee ATI) RV620 (FirePro 2260).
>>
>> So I finished upgrading everything, including kmod-fglrx. Based on the
>> xorg.conf's on there, it's been using the fglrx. Now, in Xorg.0.log, it
>> tells me "no supported AMD display adapters were found". I've been
>> on-and-off googling for hours, and can't figure out if the "legacy"
>> kmod-nvidia from elrepo will work: their info *ONLY* lists Radeon cards,
>> and I can't figure out what this damn thing is. Oh, lspci -v tells me
>> it's "ATI device 2343".
>>
>> Anyone know what this card is like (AMD shows three different models of
>> the same name, and I have no idea which it is, and none uses a Radeon
>> name), and what driver I might use, or do I have to downgrade X....
>
> It is no longer supported.
>
> The current AMD driver [v13.1] ONLY supports Radeon HD 5000 series and
> above, with the legacy driver [v13.1 legacy] supporting older Radeon HD
> 2000, HD 3000 or HD 4000 series cards (I assume yours is a 2000 series
> card) *BUT* the legacy driver does NOT support X server ABI 13 in the
> version of Xorg shipped with RHEL 6.4. So your card is not supported by
> AMD as the version of Xorg server in RHEL 6.4 is too new.

That's what I was coming to think - the one thing that had me stopped was
what it *was*. Do I understand you to be saying that this is a Radeon HD
2xxx (and why *three* names, two from ATI?)?

Also, it appears that you're saying I need to downgrade his X (all of
it?), and remove the kmod-fglrx, and install the legacy (is that the
kmod-fglrx93?

Thanks for the quick response - I really need to get his video up....

      mark