[CentOS] hard drive question - WD red

Mon Apr 22 20:42:00 UTC 2013
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 4/22/2013 1:18 PM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Sure but if you read WD on documentation on at least parity RAID
> requirements, that specify URE 10^15, and these list out to 10^14.  If you
> are going to run RAID 5 or 6 with the 3gb disks, sounds like that might not
> be the best situation but something to think about.

dont put more than 10-12 disks in a single raid stripe and allow at
least 10% hot spares.    my monster raids built from 3TB SATA drives
rebuild from a single drive failure in about 12 hours, and have 2 spares
online, so it would take 3 drive failures in less than 12 hours to take
the file system down.   never rely on cold spares in storage, they won't
be there 3 years from now when you need them, and every hour the spare
isn't replaced, is another hour added to the rebuild time leaving you
open to more fail.