[CentOS] Problem getting mysqldump on Centos 5.x server

Wed Apr 24 01:56:24 UTC 2013
Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com>

On 04/23/2013 09:42 PM, Clint Dilks wrote:
> Hi Bruce
>
>>From your message I am assuming that either you installed MySQL yourself or
> had some do it for you?
>
> Is the mysql database currently running?  If not it should be.
> Are you able to access the database using the command line tools ?  From
> the machine its currently running on try
>
> mysql -p ( when prompted enter the password you believe should work)
>
> If it is running I suggest you schedule a time to shut it down and reset
> the root password
> See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html or
> Google
>
> Moving the physical files associated with a MySQL Database can be made to
> work if you absolutely must.  But getting a mysql dump is a much cleaner
> approach.
>
> I hope this helps :)

If time is pressing, and he's not sure how to get mysqldump to function
properly, I'd suggest shutting down the mysql server, taking a tarball
backup of /var/lib/mysql (or wherever the database files are),
compressing that (xz is nice for these purposes), and then getting the
mysqldump backup.

As for getting the mysql dump itself, if he's not sure what privileges
are set up, I'd probably skip resetting permissions and instead taking
the dump from a daemon running under --skip-grant-tables.

It all depends on how much time he has before the system becomes
unavailable to him.