[CentOS] Django 1.5 Upgrade

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 14:26:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Keith Keller
<kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On 2013-08-01, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyone here using django on centos.
>
> Django is not a CentOS package.

Yes, I realize that.

> It is very likely that you installed it
> from a third-party repository or by hand.

Yes, I installed it by hand.

> In the future you should try
> to post to a more appropriate location (like the django mailing list
> where you already posted this question).

As I am having a problem with it under Centos I think it's appropriate
to post here. Someone else may have had and solved my issue.

>> On a Centos system running python 2.6 I did:
>>
>> rm -rf /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django followed by the
>> setup.py install.
>
> This was probably the wrong thing to do.  Use yum to upgrade if you
> installed from a repo, or use the official Django upgrade docs if you
> installed by hand:
>
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/howto/upgrade-version/

The way I installed it did come from the official Django upgrade docs:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/topics/install/#removing-old-versions-of-django

In any case, I did try following the instructions at the link you
gave, and I got:

Requirement already up-to-date: Django in /usr/local/python2.6/site-packages