[CentOS] <ask> What is tools for remastering Centos 6 ?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Aug 1 16:42:09 UTC 2013

On 08/01/2013 12:15 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> The problem is that by the time you've written a DVD and shipped it
> somewhere everything is out of date. Just install from the Centos
> minimal CD, 'yum update', and then 'yum install _list_of_packages_' .
> Or for your own specific application, add any other required package
> to its dependencies in the rpm. I've been using that approach recently
> to upgrade some remote servers from 5.x to 6.x because it is easier
> for the remote guys who don't know much linux to get the network set
> up to a point where ssh works in a minimal install than to fix it up
> after a clonezilla or similar image copy.

Les, you seemed to have missed the part about 'no Internet' in what I
was talking about (the OP may have other requirements; I just mentioned
a use case for a physical disc).

I have a number of systems of various flavors with no Internet
connectivity that need bugfixes anyway.  Not all bugs are
security-related; security fixes typically aren't as important in an
offline situation, but a bugfix for a driver for a piece of hardware
that you're actively using can be quite important.

Thus my reference to WSUSOfflineUpdate.  The 'Offline' in that should be
self-explanatory.  I've burnt DVD media-based update repos before for
updating offline CentOS, Fedora, and other boxen, in addition to using
WSUSOfflineUpdate to load bugfixes onto offline Windows machines.