[CentOS] Firewire on Centos-6 ???

Johan Vermeulen jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be
Fri Aug 2 16:26:13 UTC 2013

Op 02-08-13 18:15, Fred Smith schreef:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 03:06:41PM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:
>
> Since I've received no responses, whatsover, to the posting below, I'm
> going to guess no one in the Centos community uses Firewire with Centos...
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Nevertheless, I'd appreciate any advice/guesses/guidance/related info
> if anyone has any at all.
>
> Googling, I found a post from around 2006 or so (Centos 4.1) saying that
> Centos doesn't compile Firewire support, and which then gave some steps
> for installing a CentosPlus kernel.
>
> Is that still the case? I'd sure be not real happy to have to install a
> nonstandard kernel...
>
> But since there ARE some packages whose namems contain the string "1394"
> one would think that maybe it is INTENDED to be supported.
>
> But either way, I am not getting anywhere with it.
>
> Below, I give all the info I can think of that might be helpful in
> determining what's my problem, so I'd appreciate it if someone who knows
> something about Kernel and/or Firewire could drop me a note.
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> Fred
> ----------------------
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm trying to use my first-ever firewire device, and just OOB I'm not
>> getting very far, so advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> When I plug in the device I see some entries in /var/log/messages:
>>
>> 	Jul 27 14:50:30 fcshome kernel: firewire_core: phy config: card 0, new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
>> 	Jul 27 14:50:31 fcshome kernel: firewire_core: created device fw1: GUID 0003f300118123f9, S100
>>

>> lsmod says this:
>>
>> 	# lsmod | grep fire
>> 	firewire_ohci          24695  0
>> 	firewire_core          50151  1 firewire_ohci
>> 	crc_itu_t               1717  2 udf,firewire_core
>>
>> I have these 1394-related packages installed:
>>
>> 	# yum list installed | grep 1394
>> 	libavc1394.x86_64       0.5.3-9.1.el6   @anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64/6.3
>> 	libdc1394.x86_64        2.1.2-3.4.el6   @base
>> 	libdc1394-docs.x86_64   2.1.2-3.4.el6   @base
>> 	libdc1394-tools.x86_64  2.1.2-3.4.el6   @base
>> 	libraw1394.x86_64       2.0.4-1.el6     @anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64/6.3
>>
>> lspci says this:
>>
>> 	03:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
>>
>> the only mention of 1394 that I see in /etc/modprobe.d is this
>> (grep output):
>>
>> 	dist.conf:install eth1394 /bin/true
>>
>> which, to the limited extent of my understanding shouldn't be a problem.
>>

>> I'm trying to use Kino. when I start it up and click the "capture"
>> tab on the right I get a warning in the bar at the bottom of the Kino
>> window that reads:
>>
>>     WARNING: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write
>>              /dev/raw/1394!
>>
>> which makes sense since there ins't a /dev/raw/1394. however, according to
>> this:
>>
>> 	# find /dev -name \*firewire\* -print
> [...]
Hello Fred,

I've used this before on Centos6.4, with Kino.
My apologies for not answering your post. When I saw it, I wanted to
pull out my camera and look at how I did this, because it's some time ago.

But it does work.

I believe I searched for a while and in the end it was a permission issue.

I promise I will take the camera tomorrow and have a look.

Greetings, J.