[CentOS] Disable Kernel Screen Blanker

Mark LaPierre

marklapier at aol.com
Sun Aug 4 16:46:03 UTC 2013

Hey Y'all,

I'm trying to turn off the kernel screen blanker that shuts off the
video after about 10 minutes of inactivity at the keyboard.  After
extensive googling I've found two ways to *NOT* do it.

In my home .xinitrc

setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0
xset s off

In /etc/rc.local

/usr/bin/setterm -powersave off -blank 0

I've tried both to no effect.

Of course I've turned off the screen saver in the Gnome desktop.

How do I stop this machine from blanking the screen with no activity?  I
want video full time!

I know someone is going to ask, "Why do you want to do that?", so to
save you from asking.

1. I'm setting up a kiosk that customers can use interactively.  It's
not very inviting to passers by when the screen is blank.

2. I want to watch movies and Skype without having to poke the mouse all
the time.

3. My monitor is very unhappy when the video signal is cut off.

4. My wife is very unhappy when the screen goes blank.

5. Insert your reason here.  I just want it to stop. ;-)

--
     _
    °v°