[CentOS] run script on cron job only run on first Saturdat every month???

Miranda Hawarden-Ogata hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 5 20:16:31 UTC 2013

On 2013/08/05 05:01, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 08/04/2013 10:17 PM, zGreenfelder wrote:
>>> or... if it really has to be on the first Saturday and only on the first
>>> Saturday,
>>> then running something like
>>> 15 4 1-7 * *  /home/app/oracle/backup/monthlybk.sh
>>>
>>> with the top of the monthlybk.sh script doing soemthing like
>> No, really.  We went over this.  You don't have to modify your scripts.
>>    You can put the "test" in the crontab.  John's example should work
>> properly:
>>
>> 15 04 * * 6    test $(date +"%d") -le 07 &&
>> /home/app/oracle/backup/monthlybk.sh
>>
>> Cron will run those commands every Saturday.  On the first Saturday in
>> the month, "test" will succeed and the script will be run.
> On the other hand, putting the test in the script - perhaps with a
> command line option to override - would also keep it from doing
> something wrong even if someone happens to run it manually at the
> wrong time.   If I were doing it, I might touch a file when starting
> and check the timestamp of that to avoid running more than one even on
> the right day.   Sometimes the most clever way isn't really the best.

We do what Les is suggesting. Our script runs the second Saturday of the
month (just to be difficult), and is broken into two parts. The part
called by cron via "0 9 8-14 * *" does the checking and then calls the
real script only if all the conditions are met: it's a Saturday, it's
not already running, etc etc. The nice thing about this way is that in
the unfortunate case that something went wrong with the cron-fire and we
have to manually run the script, we can just do that on the command line
without worrying about it not running because out of umpteen tests one
failed and killed the execution. And, the initial script is tailored to
the machine on which it runs, whereas the main script is the same on all
the machines where it runs, so that's handy as well.

Thanks!
Miranda