[CentOS] Autofs - can you mount only certain home dirs?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 22:46:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I want is to automount /home/user1 from a different server when
> user1 logs in (to any of sereral other servers), but leave the local
> copy of /home/user2 accessible.    It looks like this is possible
> using the 'direct' /- syntax in auto.master but not by specifying
> /home and then only mentioning specific users in the auto.home file.
> In the latter case, only the subdirectories mentioned are automounted,
> but you can't access any local subdirectories under /home.

If I'm not mistaken, the direct method should work for what you are aiming at.

For example, you have the following line in /etc/auto.master:

/- /etc/auto.direct

Then /etc/auto.direct has :

/home/user1

You can create a local directory /home/user2 in addition to
/home/user1 . The latter will be automounted but the former is your
local directory.

Akemi