[CentOS] Disable Kernel Screen Blanker

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Aug 13 15:39:25 UTC 2013

On 08/04/2013 12:46 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Hey Y'all,
>
> I'm trying to turn off the kernel screen blanker that shuts off the
> video after about 10 minutes of inactivity at the keyboard.  After
> extensive googling I've found two ways to *NOT* do it.
>
> In my home .xinitrc
>
> setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0
> xset s off
>
> In /etc/rc.local
>
> /usr/bin/setterm -powersave off -blank 0
>
> I've tried both to no effect.
>
> Of course I've turned off the screen saver in the Gnome desktop.
>
> How do I stop this machine from blanking the screen with no activity?  I
> want video full time!

Which version of CentOS?

If C5, you might try the kernel patch suggested at:
http://ryanuber.com/02-08-2011/console-blanking-rhel-5.html

If C6, the consoleblank= parameter may already be available (I don't
know, I haven't tried it).

In C6, you do have to turn off the powersave in
System->Preferences->Power Management in addition to turning off the
screensaver.