[CentOS] qemu-kvm package?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 15:39:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue is that I have two machines and one has hardware support for
> virtualization but doesn't support x64, and the other is flipped. So I
> was hoping to be able to it on the 32-bit machine to get the speed up
> from hardware support, but I guess I'll just do it on the 64-bit
> machine and pay the price of emulation.

What processor does hardware virtualization but isn't 64-bit?

> The reason I want to use virtualization is not on a big server, but
> just as a way to test builds/software on different OS versions for
> submission to the EPEL and Fedora. So not everyone in the world is
> using virtualization for server type stuff, but I realize that is the
> large majority of the use cases.

If you want a 64-bit guest, I think the host has to support both
hardware virtualization and 64-bit, although the host OS doesn't
technically have to be a 64-bit version.   For example I have run a
64-bit linux guest under 32-bit windows XP with vmware player - and I
think virtualbox would do the same..

Your use case should be fairly common, but you need host support if
you want 64-bit guests.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com