[CentOS] yum-plugin-priorities

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 15 11:07:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:07:26PM +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Clint Dilks wrote:
>
> >> If I add
> >>   priority=1
> >> to [updates] in CentOS-Base.repo
> >> when I run "sudo yum update" I get the warning
> >>   66 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> >>

> > See http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities ( take a close
> > look at section 5 )
>
> Thanks for your response.
> I had actually read this section, but evidently do not understand it.
> I take it the 66 packages mentioned are in "unofficial" repositories,
> in my case rpmforge.repo.rpmnew ?

If you have a repo called something.repo.rpmnew, it will be ignored.
You would have to rename it to something.repo.

To oversimplify, say that you have rpmforge, base, and epel repos.  Say
that all of them have versions of perl.  However, these versions may
conflict with each other and break things.

So, if you gave base and updates priority of 1, then the others, even if
they have a later version of perl, won't install it.  The downside is that
you're running the older version.  The upside is that you don't risk this
newer version of perl breaking some other package that you'd forgotten.

There are disadvantages--as the wiki page in question mentions, the late
Seth Vidal disliked it.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6