[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 15 20:20:15 UTC 2013

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> http://www.businessinsider.com/red-hat-ceo-go-ahead-copy-our-software-2013-8
>
> Title says is all. Nice to know RH understands and accepts the
> relationship between CentOS and RHEL.
>
> Although it is complex. After all, if too many choose CentOS, there
> may no longer be a CentOS. However, I don't think I would refer to
> CentOS as a "parasite" as the author Matt Asay does. More appropriate
> to call it symbiotic.
>
> Is the relationship a 50/50 affair? Not sure.
>
> Complicating matters even more is Oracle Unmistakable Linux.

Yeah, and the author *really* doesn't understand, and didn't bother to
try, to do their research.

Excerpt:
Arguably one critical area that CentOS hasn't helped Red Hat is with
developers. While developers want the latest and greatest technology, Red
Hat's bread-and-butter audience over the years has been operations
departments, which want stable and predictable software. (Read: boring.)
CentOS, by cloning RHEL's slow-and-steady approach to Linux development,
is ill-suited to attracting developers.
--- end excerpt ---

As I said....

        mark