[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 21:40:14 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>> How about the real history, where Red Hat took a bunch of software
>> developed by others, published the barely-working stuff with horrible
>> bugs (read the changelogs if you disagree....), then accepted
>> contributed debugging, fixes and improvements from the users until it
>> was good enough to charge for, then they cut off access even to the
>> people who had helped make it usable.  And CentOS helps fix that
>> problem
>
> so what
>
> what about live and let live?

What about bait and switch?

> remove anything delevoped by RH paied employes in the last 10 years
> from the ecosystem and you stay here naked and helpless and most
> other distributions too in case of modern and rock solid software

Remove the stuff contributed by others and what would still work at all?

> GCC and the kernel are only two but importnat pieces where
> Redhat invested a lot of time and money over the years
>
> so whats your problem?

I guess I'd rather have seen the contributed work go to a distribution
that didn't develop a community with a free version and then after
accepting their work, take the free version away.  CentOS still gives
the same effect, so why didn't they just continue to allow
redistribution?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com