[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Fri Aug 16 11:25:25 UTC 2013

On 15/08/2013 23:58, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> So, what about redistribution of copies?
>> learn the difference between trademarks and software licences
> So, if you have a license that says  "the distribution of the whole
> must be on the terms of this License," and " You may not impose any
> further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted
> herein", it really means that you can add something that adds
> restrictions.
>
>>> I could use debian, but then I'd have to learn to type apt-get instead
>>> of rpm. I'd prefer to continue using the commands that Red Hat
>>> baited us with
>> so learn it or shut up with your Redhat hate for no reason
> I have my reason.  You don't have to like it.

For me Redhat and CentOS have their place, together in the same environment:

RedHat --> Production Systems, with paid-for support, something goes
wrong then I have some commercial comeback to get it fixed. High change
control environment.

CentOS --> QA, Development and Test Systems, and sometimes, non-critical
infrastructure, community support, more roll-your-own fixes and
workarounds. Less change control.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS