[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Aug 16 17:01:40 UTC 2013

On 08/16/2013 11:06 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Exactly my point. Everything is about derived works. So binaries
> cannot be exempt from the requirement that the work as a whole can
> only be distributed under a license that permits free redistribution
> and that additional restrictions cannot be added. If you want to
> refute that, please quote the section stating what you think permits it.

Les, binaries aren't derived works.  They're machine-generated
translations.

A derived work would be a change in the source code; binaries are direct
machine-readable translations of unmodified source code.

And the GPL covers just the programs on the distribution that are, well,
covered by the GPL at the source level.  Mere aggregation doesn't mean
the whole iso is under the GPL, only the binaries that are compiled from
GPL source are.  The copyright for the collection may prohibit
distribution of the collection (in its aggregated form), but you might
be able to distribute those individual binaries that are built from GPL
sources; but you would violate your subscription agreement (a separate
legal agreement and not part of the copyright license) if you did so.
After all, the licensor of the GPL-covered program is in many cases not
Red Hat; the subscription agreement is a contract with Red Hat and Red
Hat alone.

The GPL is all about source code availability, not binary availability.
To wit, see this section in the GPL FAQ:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MustSourceBuildToMatchExactHashOfBinary

And even https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ExportWarranties
applies, as ITAR would represent a 'restriction' on distribution, no?

But again the GPL coverage doesn't extend to the aggregation in ISO
form, only to the individual programs on the ISO.

Nothing in the GPL says that if you distribute the source to the public
you must distribute binaries to the public; all it says is that if you
distribute binaries you must distribute or include a written offer to
distribute the source to the people to whom you have distributed
binaries.  This is how SuSE (to use Johnny's example cross-thread) gets
away with not having public distribution of the sources for SLES (if you
find the publicly available sources for SLES with updates please let me
know, and OpenSuSE is not the same thing).