[CentOS] OT: laptop recommendations for CentOS6

wwp subscript at free.fr
Sat Aug 17 17:06:48 UTC 2013

Hello carlopmart,

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 16:40:42 +0000 carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/08/13 15:38, wwp wrote:
[snip]
> >> * VMWare says it supports it:
> >> https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=17&productid=17363&releaseid=217&supRel=217,&deviceCategory=software&operatingSystems=27&testConfigurations=17&osFamily=2&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc&testConfig=17
> > [snip]
> >
> > Just my 2 cents: I work with VMWare Workstation (currently 8.0.6) since
> > ages on CentOS installed on Dell Latitude series laptops (E6530, E6500,
> > D810, for work purposes). Some versions needed a vmware-any-any patch to
> > install, some are fine out of the box. With CentOS6, with the latest VM
> > WS version and the E6530 I only faced a keyboard configuration issue,
> > no solution but workarounds that make things OK.
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> Uhmm Dell E6530 seems an interesting option ...

Yes it's a very interesting laptop if you can afford it. Only very few
minor glitches, nothing I couldn't workaround with a bit of experience
and configuration steps. I don't know what possible hardware configs are
available from Dell for this series (I got that one at work), but here
it's powerful enough to drive C++/Qt compilations, a vmware ws to run a
VPN in it, plus my personal communications, music edition and photo
processing, it also performs nicely playing videos and sound is neat.
It may lack USB3, but has external sata.

The 15" 1920x1080 screen is maybe not perfect (you can see a grid under
some conditions, I'm not sure if it's a hardware limitation or a video
driver thing, like unperfect refresh rate thing), but it's well
color-calibrated and comfortable for any use.

I'm happy w/ CentOS6 + some stuff compiled from sources on it.

Regards,

--
wwp