[CentOS] k3b -> cddb doesn't work

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Aug 19 20:23:30 UTC 2013

ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:

> > There is nothing like: cdrtools-2.01-10.7.el5
>
> [cdrtools-2.01-10.7.el5 ist einmalig???]
>
> You're saying this is the preferred package, yes?  and it will have the
> functionality needed?  If yes and yes, where does one get that package?
>
> Note that my rpm command output above says:
> Source RPM: cdrtools-2.01-10.7.el5.src.rpm

A version cdrtools-2.01-10.7.el5 does not exist.

> > If you like to know what you are using, I recommend to call:
> >
> > cdrecord -version
> > cdda2wav -version
> > readcd -version
> > mkisofs -version
>
> So there should be something definitive to say about these:
>
> $ cdrecord -version
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J???rg
> Schilling
> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
> Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
> this version.

So this is a release where somebody did rip off the working original DVD
support code and replaced it with half baken other code that is known not to
work correctly.

You still get a completely outdated software.

> $ cdda2wav -version
> cdda2wav version 2.01_linux_2.6.18-92.1.10.el5_x86_64_x86_64
> $ readcd -version
> readcd 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1987, 1995-2003 J???rg Schilling
> $ mkisofs -version
> mkisofs 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu)

Be careful, this mkisofs is full of bugs and creates ISO buggy images.

> Without knowing what is *essential* in the "-version" output, it's hard

If I have trouble with a piece of software, I call xxx -version and if that
prints 2004 as the newest date, I know that something is wrong.

> to say anything definitive.  Jörg, I'm not a lawyer, but I know it's
> possible to get a tradename which then others could use only with your
> permission.  So is you owned "Jörg's unmessed with software" or "Jörg's
> truly functional code", you could put that in the "-version" output, but
> no one else could unless they had your permission... iow, they couldn't
> muck with your code and then confuse people by saying it's your code.
> (I'm assuming that this is what you mean by "original".)  This then
> would constitute a definitive determination.

There is no need to get a trademark as the name "cdrecord" is a trademark even
wihtout registering it.

> What's an "un-CD"?

Did you try google?

Intentionally broken CD shaped media sold by the music industry.

> What I hear is that you and Redhat/CentOS have different ideas as to
> what "up-to-date" means.  My system is completely up-to-date as defined
> by the latter.

Someone who did not do his homework for 9 years could be called dead.
It seems that your distro missed 97 updated versions from cdrtools.

If FORD did stop creating newer models with Model T, this was still "up to
date", but would you like to use it today?

> For a person of considerable talents as you, it shouldn't be a big deal
> to put together an RPM package for currently supported RH/cOS (v. 5.9
> and 6.x) with the needed utilities and which wouldn't break dependent
> apps such as k3b, grip, gnome-cd, etc.  Then these two disparate worlds
> would be united, at least as far as burning and ripping CDs and DVDs goes.

You miss the point: I write software that compiles/runs nearly everywhere from
source.

It is the duty of the distros to create packages. I cannot create packages for
	> 100 OS/cpu combinations.

> > Would you like to run a Linux kernel from 2004 today?
>
> No.  But I wouldn't either want to go back to the days before package
> management.

I am sure that if you go to your favorite PC shop and this shop has no model
from after 2004, you would ask the dealer to get newer items or chose another
dealer.

In other words, you either choose a distro that offers up to date packages or
you need to compile yourself.

Jörg