[CentOS] k3b -> cddb doesn't work

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 19:08:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:18:48 -0700
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 8/21/2013 10:05 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > But Debian attacked cdrtools for using the GPL when it has been
> > 100% GPL.
>
> I find this an extremely odd assertation.  I am not nor ever have
> been a Debian user, but I know Debian is based on the Linux Kernel,
> uses GCC, gnu libc, etc as its core, and these are ALL gpl.     in
> what way were you 'attacked' by a 'project' (not an individual? we
> all know individuals can act loony) for using the same license as the
> bulk of the rest of the Debian distribution?

While Joerg certainly knows better... I think the issue was that
cdrtools could be built only with the schilly-toolchain (or whatever
the exact name), and that was *not* GPL. So according to some
interpretations of the GPL, while cdrtools was claiming to be
GPL-licensed, there was no GPL-compatible way to build the binaries
from that source, which arguably made it violate GPL. That's why Debian
folks attacked, as far as I understood.

The issue was resolved by Joerg re-licensing the cdrtools to CDDL,
which does not impose restrictions on the toolchain used to build it.
And that made it a no-go for mostly all distros since.

All this with the usual caveat that my memory might not be very correct
here... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko