[CentOS] k3b -> cddb doesn't work

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Aug 22 11:31:39 UTC 2013

John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 8/21/2013 10:05 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > But Debian attacked cdrtools for using the GPL when it has been 100% GPL.
>
> I find this an extremely odd assertation.  I am not nor ever have been a
> Debian user, but I know Debian is based on the Linux Kernel, uses GCC,
> gnu libc, etc as its core, and these are ALL gpl.     in what way were
> you 'attacked' by a 'project' (not an individual? we all know
> individuals can act loony) for using the same license as the bulk of the
> rest of the Debian distribution?

The origin of course was a single hostile and lazy person: Eduard Bloch.

Every larger project may have black sheeps... but I expect a project to do what
is needed to keep it's credibility and thus to discipline people who destroy
the credibility of a project. Debian was kindly asked to replace the hostile
person in December 2004. Debian (as a project) decided to support the attacker
instead of it's own reputation. So a personal problem from May 2004 was was
turned into a Debian problem in December 2004.

Note that before, there was a very kind packager for cdrtools at Debian.
He finished his studies in late 2003 and dod not have the needed time anymore.
A new packager was set up and this person was so lazy that soon more than 50
bugs in the Debian bug tracking were caused by the fact that he did not upgrade
to a newer version.

In May 2004, he send a patch that was claimed to implement UTF-8 support for
mkisofs. This patch did only address aprox. 50% of the places in the code that
need a change for supporting UTF-8 and the code that was changed was so buggy
that it caused plenty of compiler warnings.

I send im this information and explained that I cannot include the patch in the
main code for quality reasons. At that time Bloch started to send repeated
personal insults to me.

Jörg