[CentOS] Setting Up LVS to Load Balance DNS

Trevor Kates

katestt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 15:49:17 UTC 2013

Greetings, all:

OS: CentOS 6.4 x86_64
Kernel: 2.6.32-358.14.1

I could use some assistance with setting up pulse to load balance my dns
servers. I've configured tcp and udp port 53 with the piranha gui, set up
arptable rules on the real servers and added the virtual ip to the bond0
interface on the real servers, but I'm still having no luck in getting
things going. A dig against the virtual ip address simply times out and
ipvsadm shows no servers under the UDP connection for the virtual IP I
defined in lvs.cf. Nanny also complains in /var/log/messages like so:

READ to x.x.x.x timed out

I've attached my lvs.cf and sysctl.conf files for the lvs server and real
dns servers. Any help or nudges in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks.