[CentOS] nfs4, idmapd, users with same name, different uid?

natxo asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 09:29:00 UTC 2013

On 08/27/2013 12:01 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Is idmapd supposed to work where users have different uid numbers on
> the nfsv4 server and client?     It seems to show the right names for
> ownership on the client side, but if I automount a home directory,
> that user doesn't have permission to enter it, and if I change
> permission to allow access and create a new file, it shows on the
> server as owned by the uid number for the user on the client (and
> wrong on the server).
>
> Everything works like it would on nfs v3  where the uid numbers are
> the same on the client and server, but what's the point of the
> rpcidmapd daemon if it doesn't actually map the ids?

for nfsv4 it is my understanding you need a central user store like ldap
or nis (but don't use nis) or synchronize your password file to
eternity. I do not have a centos nfs server (or a linux one, for that
matter, what I want from nfsv4 are mainly the extended acls and those
are not there until somebody wakes up and merges the richacl patch into
the mainstream kernel), only clients, but they work fine using nfsv4 to
both netapp  as zfs (omnios) filers.

Both the clients as the filers are configured to lookup up users in ldap
(ipa in our case).

I have no experience with idmapd in linux, but in solaris and netapp it
gets ugly quite easily :-)

--
groet,
natxo