[CentOS] nfs4, idmapd, users with same name, different uid?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 16:29:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Barbara Krasovec <barbarak at arnes.si> wrote:

>> I have no experience with idmapd in linux, but in solaris and netapp it
>> gets ugly quite easily :-)
>>
> It also works with same UID-s on server/client, just setting the
> domainname in idmapd.conf. Ldap is not obligatory.

This is a small lab-type setting but I'm trying to merge two sets of
machines set up by different groups to have a common home directory
server that all the others automount.  The number of users is small
enough that I'll just 'usermod' them into the same uid numbers, but I
don't see why it is worth running the idmapd daemon at all, when all
it does is map everyone to nobody if you forget to set the domains
identically.   And after fixing the uids to match, is there any
advantage to nfsv4 at all?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com