[CentOS] Firewire on Centos-6 ???

Fri Aug 2 17:46:27 UTC 2013
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 09:33:48AM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Fred Smith
> <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to use Kino. when I start it up and click the "capture"
> > tab on the right I get a warning in the bar at the bottom of the Kino
> > window that reads:
> >
> >    WARNING: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write
> >             /dev/raw/1394!
> >

> Maybe this explains a little?
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/ABI/removed/raw1394
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=kino+raw1394+kernel+module+not+loaded

Ah ha!

Running Kino as root automatically finds the firewire video stream and
can be used to capture it! But I really dislike running big(gish) apps
as root. Wonder if I can figure out which device (/dev/fw1 ???) to
chmod so I don't have to run it that way...

And I doubt any of you can help me with this, but let me throw it out
here anyway:

I'm using a "Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge" to capture output from a vcr,
so I can try making DVDs out of a bunch of purcased VCR tapes of TV
series.

So, my VCR has only the RF/coax output, OR RCA jacks. The Dazzle device
accepts several different types of input, S-video, firewire, or component
(RCA) jacks.

I've got one RCA cable from the VCR RCA (video) output jack to the
Dazzle's RCA (video) input jack, and one from the VCR's audio output jack
to the left channel audio in on the Dazzle (my VCR doesn't provide stereo
outputs, so I figure I'll have to somehow manage to copy the audio into
both channels in an editor, or else acquire a RCA-to-RCA Y connector).

So, when I fire up Kino and start the VCR, it displays the video, but I
get no audio.

I'd have thought that the firewire channel from the Dazzle device to
my PC would carry the audio, but apparently not. Might it be necessar
to run another cable from the Dazzle device just for audio?

Also, on Kino's "capture" screen is a "MUTE" button which when I click it,
causes an endless and rapid stream of:

	ALSA lib pcm.c:2209:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM /dev/dsp
	Could not open ALSA device "/dev/dsp": No such file or directory

in the root window from which Kino was started.

[later] So, starting kino from a root window as "padsp kino" quiets the
stream of errors, but I still don't seem to be getting any audio. I
think it's time to go investigate all those various inputs I see in
AlsaMixer that I don't know what they do.

Thanks!

Fred
    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996