[CentOS] Openssl vulnerability - SSL/ TLS Renegotion Handshakes

Thu Aug 8 07:04:04 UTC 2013
Anumeha Prasad <anumeha.prasad at gmail.com>

Thanks for the update.

I'd updated most of my rpms to CentOS 5.9. I'd even updated openssl
to openssl-0.9.8e-22.el5_8.4 (though now the latest is version
is openssl-0.9.8e-26.el5_9.1). My concern is that even upgrading openssl to
version openssl-0.9.8e-26.el5_9.1 might not solve my problem. This is
because the fix for vulnerability "SSL/ TLS Renegotion Handshakes MiTm
Plaintext Data Injection" was backported to openssl-0.9.8e-12.el5_4.6 as
per article:

https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/20490#Updates_adding_RFC_5746_support

In link https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/?sc_cid=3093you
shared, I found "some
security scanning and auditing tools make decisions about vulnerabilities
based solely on the version number of components they find. This results in
false positives as the tools do not take into account backported security
fixes."

This might be the reason for reported vulnerability. Or, there might be
some configuration changes that I need to make on my server, but not sure
of that.