[CentOS] qemu-kvm package?

Fri Aug 9 20:38:00 UTC 2013
Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com>

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:

> On 09.08.2013 17:39, Dave Johansen wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Patrick Hurrelmann
> > <patrick.hurrelmann at lobster.de> wrote:

> >> kvm is not supported on 32bit installs in rhel/centos.
> >
> > Really? Is there a reason why that is the case? Because the hardware
> > supports it and so is it just that the software doesn't support
> > 32-bit? That's kind of surprising because my experience has usually
> > been that if both weren't supported then it was 64 bit that was
> > lacking.
>
> Nowadays you should always install 64 bit. 32 bit is a legacy
> architecture and should not be used unless you absolutely have no other
> choice.

Unfortunately, for me that is the case. The laptop I was doing this on
(Thinkpad T60) doesn't support x64.

But the "32 bit is legacy" argument seems a bit odd and that's the
first time I've heard that. Maybe I'm just a bit out of that loop, but
the reason I say that is that before doing this install, I had Fedora
19 on the machine and kvm worked just fine on the machine, so if it
really was that "32 bit" wasn't being supported for things like kvm
anymore, then why does a "cutting edge" system like Fedora 19 have
support for it?