[CentOS] Autofs - can you mount only certain home dirs?

Fri Aug 9 21:57:10 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:
> On 08/09/2013 08:30 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Does autofs take completed control of directories mentioned in
>> auto.master?   The examples with /home show that you can specify
>> individual users instead of * and &, but even then it seems to take
>> over the whole /home level so you can't see or add local subdirs.
>>
>> I have a small group of users/hosts where I would like to at least
>> temporarily mix/match who is automounted or not.
>>

> I am not sure what you are asking, but automounts are only mounted when
> you try to access them. I created symlinks to a separate folder (once I
> access a mount) so when I try to open symlink autofs mounts it for a
> given amount of time.

What I want is to automount /home/user1 from a different server when
user1 logs in (to any of sereral other servers), but leave the local
copy of /home/user2 accessible.    It looks like this is possible
using the 'direct' /- syntax in auto.master but not by specifying
/home and then only mentioning specific users in the auto.home file.
In the latter case, only the subdirectories mentioned are automounted,
but you can't access any local subdirectories under /home.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com