[CentOS] 3TB External USB Drive isn't recognized

Mon Aug 12 18:06:56 UTC 2013
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

Am 12.08.2013 17:07, schrieb m.roth at 5-cent.us:
> Mike McCarthy wrote:
>> Update to CentOS6 or try reformatting them to multiple ext3 (under 2TB)
>> partitions.
>>
>> On 08/12/2013 09:59 AM, james wrote:
>>> We have a 3TB external USB drive that I am trying to attach to some
>>> CentOS5 servers. I have tried an older Dell PE1950 and a newer R310 but
> neither
>>> one seems to be able to read the drive. It works no problem on windows
>>> servers/workstations and I was able to format with NTFS.
>
> Oh, right, related: it's almost a complete certainty that the drive's
> *real* blocksize is 4k, but has internal code to present it as 512bytes.
> When you format the drive, be 100% sure to align it correctly: for parted,
> tell it 0.0TB, which will put it at 1M. The alignment really *does* make a
> difference in access and throughput speed.
>
>        mark

Don't know where you take this certainty from, but to remind

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/5.6_Technical_Notes/ch03.html

"4 kilobyte physical sectors, 4 kilobyte logical sector harddisks

    4 kilobyte physical sectors, 4 kilobyte logical sector harddisks
require firmware and software modifications to function. This type of 4
kilobytes sector disks is currently not supported in Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 5"

Have an external 3TB Seagate drive myself in the office for which this
is the case.

Alexander