[CentOS] Motherboard and chipset compatibility

Mon Aug 12 19:39:35 UTC 2013
Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com>

On Aug 12, 2013 1:57 PM, "Ljubomir Ljubojevic" <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:

> On 08/12/2013 07:30 PM, Glenn Eychaner wrote:
> > Since the reqirements are (relatively) modest (except those two), I was
> > hoping to squeeze something in.
> >
> > Looks like I'm out of luck, and buying another full tower to hold a
> > motherboard, a disk drive, and one expansion card.
> >

> Have you considered "Desktop" type of cases? You could maybe place them
> bellow the existing Desktops, to conserve the horizontal space.
>
> You can also think about Building a "beast" system that would run
> original CentOS and one or more guest systems (CentOS, Windows,
> whatever). If you use KVM Virtualization, and buy MB with "IOMMU" BIOS
> option
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware), you
> could pass PCI devices (second graphics card, telemetry PCI card, etc)
> to guest system, thus making current systems obsolete.
>
> So far I have only heard about IOMMU and PCI passthrough, so do not hold
> me to my words, but they say it works.
>

> --
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic
> (Love is in the Air)
> PL Computers
> Serbia, Europe
>
> StarOS, Mikrotik

I've been following GPU passthrough with KVM casually for a while, testing
andon stacks from EL6 up to Fedora Rawhide. Passthrough on other devices
work great - you loose guest migration ability, of course - for everything
*except * graphics devices. I would not consider this a viable option.

--Pete