[CentOS] 3TB External USB Drive isn't recognized

Tue Aug 13 20:45:11 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>> I know there are different methods for formatting large disks but this one
>> doesn't even seem to show up as a/dev/  device. I supplied the dmesg output
>> I see when I plug in the device. Is this a limitation of CentOS5? Do I need
>> some additional package / driver / update?
>
> CentOS 5 does not support GPT disks, and MBR disks have an absolute
> maximum size of 2TB

Did you mean does not support booting from gpt, or does not support
them on USB?  I have a pair of these running in in software raid one
on an old 32-bit box running CentOS5.

# parted /dev/sde print

Model: ATA Hitachi HDS72303 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sde: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  3001GB  3001GB  ext3               raid

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com