[CentOS] yum-plugin-priorities

Thu Aug 15 10:07:26 UTC 2013
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it>

Clint Dilks wrote:

>> If I add
>>   priority=1
>> to [updates] in CentOS-Base.repo
>> when I run "sudo yum update" I get the warning
>>   66 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
>>
>> This does not seem to have any adverse effect,
>> but what exactly does it mean?

> See http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities ( take a close
> look at section 5 )

Thanks for your response.
I had actually read this section, but evidently do not understand it.
I take it the 66 packages mentioned are in "unofficial" repositories,
in my case rpmforge.repo.rpmnew ?

> Generally all active repo's in Base would be given the same priority.
> If you have only added a setting of 1 for updates then all other repos
> will have a priority of 99 (lower).

I did realize that.
But as far as I can see, the effect of the plugin
is to disable all repositories with priority 99,
or indeed with priority > 2 ?

I've presently disabled this plugin,
since I don't see any rational way of using it.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net