[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

Thu Aug 15 20:59:06 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Yeah, and the author *really* doesn't understand, and didn't bother to
> try, to do their research.
>
> Excerpt:
> Arguably one critical area that CentOS hasn't helped Red Hat is with
> developers. While developers want the latest and greatest technology, Red
> Hat's bread-and-butter audience over the years has been operations
> departments, which want stable and predictable software. (Read: boring.)
> CentOS, by cloning RHEL's slow-and-steady approach to Linux development,
> is ill-suited to attracting developers.
> --- end excerpt ---

How about the real history, where Red Hat took a bunch of software
developed by others, published the barely-working stuff with horrible
bugs (read the changelogs if you disagree....), then accepted
contributed debugging, fixes and improvements from the users until it
was good enough to charge for, then they cut off access even to the
people who had helped make it usable.  And CentOS helps fix that
problem.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com